When Muhammad Shaban was announced the best player in Uganda a few months ago, beating Denis Onyango, many branded the USPA awards unfair because there is no way a player who helped Uganda cranes reach the African cup of Nations tournament after 38 years and win the African champions league loose to a player who just won the golden boot.
Denis Onyango achieved both on the international stage yet Shaban won on the local but that was decided by Magogo and his company and it can’t be undone. However, what the goalkeeper is still achieving more than just team honours because the latest is that he’s been named among the top ten goalkeepers in the whole world. Yes the whole world and beating some we thought were superior.
In the list that was released a few days ago, Ugandan number one stopper Denis Onyango is in number 10.A slot below Arsenal and Czech Republic’s Peter and Čech and slightly higher than Belgium and Chelsea’s Thibaut Courtois.
The list that has Germany’s Manuel as number one also has other goalkeepers like Buffon, David De Gea and Hugo Loris among others.
The Top 13 Ranked Goalkeepers in 2016 by IFFHS
- Manuel Neuer (Germany/FC Bayern München) 156 points
2. Gianluigi Buffon (Italy/Juventus Torino FC 91 points
3. Rui Patricio (Portugal/Sporting Portugal) 50 points
4. Claudio Bravo (Chile/FC Barcelona/Manchester City FC) 45 points
5. David De Gea (Spain/Manchester United FC) 37 points
6. Jan Oblak (Slovenia/Club Atletico de Madrid) 31 points
7. Hugo Lloris (France/Tottenham Hotspur FC) 29 points
8. Keylor Navas (Costa Rica/Real Madrid CF) 18 points
9. Thibaut Courtois (Belgium/Chelsea FC) 13 points
10. Denis Onyango (Uganda/Mamelodi Sundowns) 5 points
11. Petr Cech (Cech Republic/Arsenal London FC) 4 points
12. Samir Handanovic (Slovenia/FC Inter Milano) 2 points
13. Marc André Ter Stegen (Germany/FC Barcelona) 1 point