The day is finally upon us, the 7th edition of the Annual Beach Rugby event starts tomorrow at the Sports Beach, Entebbe.
Dubbed the Oktoberfest, it doubles as a season ender and an opener. The event will look at the achievements of the past season, like U19 boys winning CAR tourney and being promoted to tier 1A, the addition of a local super series to the calendar, U19 girls winning safari com sevens, The 7s senior men’s team putting up a good show in Glasgow Scotland and many more.
With celebrities like Peter Miles, Cindy, A-Pass and Navio set to perform, expect to have a fun day as the event will bring players, fans, officials, sponsors and all stakeholders together to play the game they love.
There will be ten teams participating in the tournament. 1st prize is one million shillings, second seven hundred fifty thousand and third five hundred thousand Uganda shillings.
The teams are categorized according to the team name, the captain and the current club they play for. See the teams below.
1) Team Odong – Marvin Odong – Pirates & National team
2) Team Kimono – Justin Kimono – Kobs and National team
3) Team Mudoola – Charlotte Mudoola – Black Panthers and National lady cranes
4) Team Tialata – Denis Mugambe – Heathens
5) Team Aredo – Gabriel Aredo – Mutoni Warriors – National 7s team
6) Team Adnan – Adnan Mutebi – Makerere Impis
7) Team Wandicho – John Wandicho – Sadolin Mongers – National team
8) Team Wazeyi – Michael Wandera – Former Kobs & National team
9) Team Wokos – Michael Wokorach – Heathens and National Team
10) Team Buloti – Timothy Buloti- Ezee Money Rhinos.
Each team shall have at least two girls, at most two super league players and the rest shall be from the nationwide, a women’s league and the fans.
Fans shall be picked in the following way: “A fan is going to write on the Facebook or Twitter rugby fan zone pages, the best Nile Special rugby moment they ever had. The story will then generate “Likes” from the readers and any fan with the most “Likes” shall thereafter be picked and allocated a team, these until all teams are fully constituted.”