This year’s Young Achievers Awards ceremony promises to exude fireworks going by the standard the selection process has set. This comes after the finalists for the 2017 Young Achievers Awards were announced last night at the official awards nominees unveiling ceremony held at the Kampala Serena Hotel pool side.
The Young Achievers Award which was founded in 2009 was created as a platform to showcase Uganda’s best talent as an encouragement in their quest to create economic opportunity, attain financial independence and improve their leadership abilities to ultimately play meaningful roles in managing the affairs of society.
It returns bigger and better after a 4-year break as the mantle is handed over to Raise A Hand Uganda a youth initiative geared towards empowering young in socio-economic aspects.
It was founded by two idea-driven youths Awel Uwihanganye and Ivan Kyambadde to inspire the youth and recognise, reward and celebrate outstanding youth in Uganda. These include Social Entrepreneurship, business, Innovation and ICT, Farming and Agro- Processing, Sports Personality, Music, Media and Journalism, Fashion, Film and Photography, Overall Achiever of the Year and the ceremony will culminate with the Lifetime Achievement Award and Heroes/Heroine Award.
Mr Humphrey Nabimanya, the Team Leader & Founder of Reach A Hand Uganda who is also a recipient in 2011 while giving his remarks on the Awards and nominees, said he is ready to take on the mantle and leadership of the franchise and promised the best and most memorable event come August 12th as they take it forward.
“We are pleased to announce this year’s nominees who have been selected by distinguished Judges who brought their industry knowledge and category specific skill sets to assess the nominees and choose the finalists for the Young Achievers Awards.” He said.
“Our hope has always been that we keep young people as the face of the YAA, and for the Award to remain youth driven, and youth focused. We see this clearly in the work being invested in the project, and passion exhibited by the team of young people working on it. The team has our full support, we shall continue to contribute to the growth and success of the Award.”
The finalists were selected by two panels of judges. The first round which composed of category judges who assessed the top ten nominees in their respective categories and later the audit judges who selected a winner out of each of the categories that attracted nominations from the public.
“I celebrate their bravery and I also celebrate their being vulnerable. I admire them for being brave enough by putting their ideas and work out there to be judged” Said Asiimwe Jackie who represented the panel of judges.
“We congratulate all the nominees in the different categories. These young people are the next generation of leaders in their chosen fields of specialization and Vodafone is proud to be part of their story” said Progress Chisenga, Marketing Director Vodafone Uganda who spoke on behalf on the main sponsors of this year’s edition.
The colourful ceremony that was attended by partners and sponsors like Vodafone Uganda, Events Warehouse, NBS Television, Incredible Media , government officials, private sector, the finalists and the media. Songstress Naava Grey entertained the guests.
FULL LIST OF NOMINEES of the 2017 Young Achievers Awards
Nominees for the Young Achievers Award for Business are;
- Richard Kalungi, Home Doctors Uganda
- Maxima Nsimenta, Founder of Livara Shea Butter Cosmetics
- Kasozi Charles Ras, SEED Uganda
- Muhammed Sekatawa, Responsinle Suppliers (U) Ltd
- Ricky Rapa Thompson, Co-Founder of SafeBoda
Nominees for the Young Achievers Award for Outstanding Sports Personality are;
- Farouk Miya, Uganda Cranes Midfielder
- Jacob Kiplimo, Athlete
- Marvin Odong, Rugby Cranes
- Christine Wanyana, Former Uganda Crested Cranes Captain
- Cheza Fitness Uganda
Nominees for the Young Achievers Award for Media and Journalism Excellence are;
- Samuel Songa Stone, STORYTELD
- Ronald Wandera, Founder com
- Raymond Kataha, Journalist with NTV Uganda
- Abaas Mpindi, The Media Challenge Initiative
- Martha Tukahirwa, The Uganda Tourism Directory
Nominees for the Young Achievers Award for Innovations & ICT are;
- Gerald Otim, Chief Operation Officer & Co-Founder of Ensibuko
- Michael Kazoora, Quick Tap Solutions
- Zilla Mary Arach, Lacel Technologies
- Kevin Lubega, EasyTicket Limited
- Peace Kuteesa, Zimba Women
Nominees for the Young Achievers Award for Social Entrepreneurship presented by United are;
- Muhammed Kisirisa aka Slum Ambassador, Executive Director of Action for Fundamental Change and Development
- Eddy Balina, Community Empowerment Center
- Jamila Mayanja, Annual Father Daughter Dance
- Ian Joseph Wabwire, Youth Connect-Uganda
- Ampumuza Dixon Kagurusi, Co-Founder of Africa Media Education Literacy Limited and TheUgandan.com
- Frank Neil Yiga, Anuel Energy Uganda
Nominees for the Young Achievers Award for Farming and Agro-Processing;
- Ronald Katamba, Jaguza App
- Zilla Mary Arach, Lacel Technologies
- James Kyewalabye, RASA Ltd
- Dennis Kasule, St James Secondary School Bulaga
- Fiona Rukwanzi, Mwigo holdings limited
Nominees for the Young Achievers Award for Creative Arts (Music) Category are;
- Edrisa Musuuza aka Eddy Kenzo
- Milege Afrojazz Band
- George William Kigozi aka Geosteady
- The Triplets Ghetto Kids
- Sheebah Karungi
Nominees for the Young Achievers Award for Creative Arts (Fashion) are;
- Brian Ahumuza of Abryanz Collection
- Anita Beryl of Beryl Quoture
Nominees for the Young Achievers Award for Creative Arts (Film and Photography) are;
- Haruna Ssebagala, Access Films
- Ssekitto Emmanuel kalule, Faces Up Uganda
- Zahara Abdul
- Ian Akankwasa aka Sasha Vybz