As life slowly starts to get back to normal for many sectors following the partial opening of the economy, events organisers have also started to plan for different functions to make them colorful.
After a year of absence due to Covid-19, Telecommunications giants Airtel have once again demonstrated their full support for sports and football in particular in the country after boosting the 2021 Airtel FUFA Awards with a sum of UGX 100M.
The announcement was made this morning Thursday, October 21 at the official launch of the awards at Stonehaven Restaurant in Kololo.
This year’s awards will take place on the 4th day of December 2021 at Speke Resort Hotel in Munyonyo.
According to the organisers, the awards which will be running for the 6th time recognize the most outstanding performers of each year for their achievements on and off the pitch.
The awards are making a strong comeback after the COVID-19 outbreak disrupted almost every event in the country and affected the last two years as competitions that contribute mainly on the score-card in various categories were ended prematurely while others were cancelled.
The 2021 awards are organised under the theme ‘Celebrating Uganda’s Finest Football Personalities’.
Speaking at the unveiling this morning, Manoj Murali, Airtel Uganda Managing Director, commended FUFA for laying a good foundation for footballers to showcase their skills.
Quoting the great Sir Alex Ferguson, he added that hard work deserves to be rewarded; “Great players always work hard and we are excited to be part of these awards who celebrate best players that go an extra mile to showcase resilience.”
Former players like Moses Basena (Now National team coach) and Edgar Watson FUFA C.E.O shared their experiences of winning awards that did not come with any material goodies or cash, unlike today’s players who even win cars.
Unlike in the past, the best player in the 2021 Futsal Super League will also be awarded as well as the Best Squad (Club/National Team) of a particular year.
The nominees for the FUFA Male Player and Female Player of the Year were selected by the coaches and captains in the StarTimes Uganda Premier League and FUFA Women Super League.
In total, 13 categories will be considered at this year’s ceremony. And to kick off the process, the nominees for the Best Male player and Best Female player were also announced.
The 2021 awards are sponsored by Airtel Uganda, Nile Special, NIC Holdings, Nivana, Pepsi, Ecobank, BIDCO, and 102.1 FUFA FM. The awards have been organised by Kibo Media.
The 13 Categories of the Airtel FUFA Awards
- Category 1: Airtel-FUFA Male Player of the Year 2021; This category is voted for by the head coaches and captains of the clubs playing in the StarTimes Uganda Premier. The coaches and captains nominated a list of five players each.
- Category 2: Airtel-FUFA Women Player of the year 2021; This Category is voted for by the head coaches of the clubs playing in the FUFA Women Super League and FUFA Women Elite League. The coaches nominated a list of players each.
- Category 3: Airtel-FUFA Football coach of the year 2021
- Category 4: Airtel-FUFA Women Football coach of the year 2021.
- Category 5: Airtel-FUFA Beach Soccer player of the year 2021.
- Category 6: Airtel-FUFA Best XI 2021 (Men).
- Category 7: Airtel-FUFA Best XI 2021 (Women).
- Category 8: Airtel-FUFA Member Association Award 2021.
- Category 9: Airtel-FUFA Fair Play Award 2021
- Category 10: Airtel FUFA Futsal player of the year 2021.
- Category 11: Airtel-FUFA Presidential Award 2021.
- Category 12: Airtel-FUFA Fans’ Favourite Uganda Foreign based player 2021.
- Category 13: Best Squad (Club/National Team) of a Particular year.