Manchester United has reached an agreement with Juventus to re-sign club legend Cristiano Ronaldo from Juventus, the club announced on Friday evening. This Comes after the media was awash with rumours of the Portuguese going to bitter rivals Manchester City.
“Manchester United is delighted to confirm that the club has reached an agreement with Juventus for the transfer of Cristiano Ronaldo, subject to agreement of personal terms, visa and medical,” a club statement read.
The 36-year-old’s departure from Juventus was confirmed by boss Max Allegri on Friday, as he told a press conference he was told by the player he had “no intention” of playing for the club again.
“Yesterday, speaking with Cristiano, he told me that he has no intention to stay at Juventus and for this reason, he will not be called up tomorrow [against Empoli] and he didn’t train this morning,” Allegri said.
According to reports, Man Utd reportedly submitted a €25m (£21.3m) bid to Juventus on Friday and have offered Cristiano Ronaldo a two-year contract; Ronaldo’s agent Jorge Mendes said earlier in the day that a deal for the Portugal captain to return to Old Trafford was very close
Cristiano, a five-time Ballon d’Or winner, has so far won over 30 major trophies during his career, including five UEFA Champions League titles, four FIFA Club World Cups, seven league titles in England, Spain, and Italy, and the European Championship for his native Portugal.
In his first spell for Manchester United, Cristiano scored 118 goals in 292 games and returns after 12 years in a sensational move that even caused the Manchester United website to crash due to heavy traffic.
“Everyone at the club looks forward to welcoming Cristiano back to Manchester.”